75ml/6fl oz olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
675g Soy Granules
3 cloves garlic, chopped
400g chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
2 bay leaves
1 tsp fresh, soft thyme leaves
4 medium aubergines, cut in roundles
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
175 ml Water
Plain flour, for dusting
For the topping
85g/3oz unsalted butter
85g/3oz plain flour
85g/3oz parmesan, grated
115g/4oz cheddar / gruyère, grated
2 egg yolks
1. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large casserole dish. Add the onion and cook gently for 10 minutes or until the onion is soft, but not coloured. Add the garlic and the granules fry till brown. Stir the cinnamon, chopped tomatoes, oregano, bay leaves and thyme into the casserole and de-glaze the pan with water.
2. Place the aubergines in a colander, sprinkle with salt and leave for 30 minutes. This draws out any bitter juices.
3. Meanwhile make the béchamel sauce. Melt the butter in a non-stick pan and stir in the flour. Take off the heat and gradually stir in the milk. Return the pan to the heat and stir continuously until the sauce thickens. Simmer over a gentle heat for 5-8 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in 55g/2oz of the parmesan and 55g/2oz of the gruyère cheese and season with salt and pepper.
4. Rinse the aubergines and pat dry. Dust the aubergines with flour and fry in batches in the remaining olive oil until golden on both sides, about 8 – 10 minutes. Drain on kitchen paper. Set aside until ready to construct the moussaka.
5. The white sauce should now have cooled enough to whisk in the egg and egg yolks.
6. Cover the base of an ovenproof dish (30 x 20cm/12 x 8in) with a third of the SOYA then cover with half the aubergine slices. Repeat the layers, ending in the last of the SOYA, then pour over the cheese sauce. Sprinkle over the remaining parmesan and gruyère. Bake in a preheated oven at 180C/350F/Gas4 for 50-60 minutes, until bubbling and golden. Allow the moussaka to settle for 5 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.
7. Serve the moussaka with a chunky tomato, cucumber, parsley and mint salad and crusty bread.